It has been a LONG while since my last Fashion Friday post - too long actually (my last post was back in Sept 2012, say whaaaatttt?). BUT, I kinda make up for being a #badblogger since I am whipping up a post on a FRIDAY night, right? ;)
I have always been a fan of maxi dresses (although I don't wear them often enough) - casual yet "glam". Maxi dresses make a great staple in a girl's wardrobe - perfect for your weekly Sunday brunch sesh or you can flaunt it at your local pub during the usual Saturday night bevs time.
I decided to finally put on this black maxi dress that I got from CLEO over a year ago that's slightly too long & a tad too big. I could either shuff it back to the lonely corner of my wardrobe or make it work #likeaboss.
And, HERE is how I did it:
1. Tie the knot: Too long? Just because you're not blessed with J Hawkin's height, doesn't mean you can't buy that gorgeous maxi dress that might be a tad too long for you. Simply tie a knot at the corner and VOILA - the perfect length & additional edge to an otherwise simple dress.
2. Add a POP: The good ol', fail-proof colour poppin. Add a bright, bold colour to your plain maxi for that contrast and I chose a skinny, red belt!
3. Plus the STATEMENT necklace: Statement necklace is my favourite icing to my outfit cake, especially corporate wear as it instantly dresses UP an otherwise boring outfit! So, start investing in a few statement necklace today!
4. Finish off with a COLOURED cardigan: With the temperamental Sydney's weather, it's always good to bring along a cardigan as it could be 46 degrees now and drop to 26 degrees 2 hours later. #truestory So, instead of the traditional black/ white/ grey/ beige cardigan, why not spice up your outfit with a coloured cardigan?
5. BONUS - Add some colours to your FOTD: Swap your usual black liner for an electric blue eyeliner. I am wearing Face of Australia Bulge-proof Gel Liner in Brilliant Blue* here!
(These babies are awesomesauce and cost only $9.95 a pop - coming soon at your local drugstore!)
Maxi dress: "Seduce" (FREE with CLEO)
Red belt: Malaysia
Studded bag: Dotti
Sandals: Sports Girl
Sunnies: Ray Bans
"Don't let your fear of striking out prevent you from never playing the game"
"Focus your conscious mind on things you desire not things you fear. Doing so bring dreams to life"
Outfit photo credit: my LOVELY babysis (@zoweexoxo)
I am by no means a fashionista with some mad sense of fashion - but I do enjoy mixing and matching and hunt fir clothes that suits my bodyshape, especially at a bargain! So, I hope you girls (and guys) enjoy this post. :)
PS: Although the Fashion Friday series have been forming cob webs here, I have been quite diligent with quick OOTD shots on Instagram. Follow @ThroughBeautyEyes for more of my outfit quickies. ;)
PPS: I might be a little floaty from the Panadeine Forte I just consumed 2 hours ago - so my apologies if there's any grammatical error or if it doesnt make any sense. :P
Do you own any/ many maxi dresses in your wardrobe?
What are your dressing/ styling tips?
Disclaimer: Products marked with asterisk* were sent to me for consideration purposes. I was not compensated for this post. All opinions stated are 100% honest. For more information, please refer to Through Beauty Eyes disclosure policies.