Tuesday, July 6, 2010

TBE 3 in 1: Of Illamasqua's "Make UP Lesson", Mini Haul & FOTD

Hey lovelies,

How's your week so far? This is gonna be another 3 in 1 post, where there's a mixture of random blabbering, a mini haul last week ( I know I was meant to be on a shopping ban but I have a somewhat legit reason!) and FOTD. :)

So, I managed to book myself in for a FREE "Make Up Lesson" with Illamasqua (A cult British brand for those who don't know) which worth A$70 (or so they claim.) through Sassisamblog last Wednesday. Due to the positive reviews I have read about them and my random visit to MYER the week before to check out their newly opened counter, I was pretty damn excited. 

For a Make Up Lesson worth A$70, you'd expect something good right. That being said, I rocked up with an almost bare face - only had my moisturiser, a VERY thin layer of pressed powder and lippie on, as what you would normally do before going for a make up lesson/make over. To my dismay, I was told by the Make Up Artist that the make up lesson only includes ONE part, its either your eyes, or face or contouring. Considering that its a complimentary make up lesson, I am not really in a place to be picky, so I opted for eyes,since that's my favourite part of a make up routine. I don't really mind, to be honest as I am usually very simple when it comes to face products.

NOW, I would automatically associate "concealing under eye dark circles" as part of an eye make up. My eyebags were atrocious that day thanks to the lack of sleep due to my World Cup body clock and I was watching Spain V Portugal the night before. I was left in shock when the MUA "concealed" my upper lid using a concealer, which apparently serves as an eyeshadow base too (and failed big time. More on that later) and moved on to applying the lid colour WITHOUT CONCEALING MY EYE BAGS. Oh dear god.

I am trying to be reasonable here, its after all a complimentary make up lesson and obviously, its not gonna be as full on as one that you actually pay. And it was partially my own fault for not asking the MUA about concealing my eye bags (clearly surviving on 4 hours of sleep the night before is not making me think straight). BUT, isn't "concealing" like the golden rule for applying make up and its is pretty much implied that all MUA would conceal any flaws (the eye part in my case) without me having to ask? OH, I am also amazed by the fact that "filling eyebrows" wasn't part of the deal. =.="

Don't get me wrong, I am not pissed off or anything (Its free) , I was just very disappointed with the final result. The purple smokey eyes (as requested) I had was alright -nothing too epic (as seen in their posters) to shout about and it was something that I could easily do it myself. And the fact that I did not bring any concealer or blush with me simply means that I am going to look like I just got punched in the face, with the smokey eyes and eyebags combination. Go figure.

Concealer/ Eyeshadow Base, White Eyeliner

 Eyeshadows,Pigments, brushes & Mascara


The products used are as above. Unfortunately, I did not take an after photo cos I was hurrying to Priceline to grab a few essentials before meeting up with my friend, W because it was that bad. The lid colour was completely gone by arvo - yes, so I am pretty much left with a naked lid and smokey outer V. Thank god for the REVLON Colorstay Eyeliner I had in my make up pouch to save the day. This gave me a really bad impression on their eyeshadows/ pigments as my eyeshadows barely crease, especially after setting with a base. (For those who don't already know, I have really dry skin and that probably explains why.) The mascara the MUA used did not give me the volume and the curls did not last long too. The only good thing about this entire "lesson" was the Underworld Lipstick, which costs a whooping A$39 ( slightly more expensive than MAC).


Just to make it clear, I did not write this post to bag them out or anything. I am merely sharing my experience with Illamasqua so far. They have recently open a counter in Sydney CBD Myer store at Sydney Centre Plaza, so do check it out and maybe you can be the judge yourself. My experience with them was clearly a let down though, after all the good reviews I read about them and I doubt I will be purchasing their products anytime soon. (although they do have pretty good nail colours)

Have you tried any Illamasqua's products and how do you find them?

:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:

ANYWAYS, I hope I did not bore you guys with my "thesis" which justified the mini haul I had, despite my make up ban. These products (well, most of them) are emergency products! LOL

- Rimmel Hide the Blemish Concealer in Ivory 
- Prestige Fresh Glow Baked Mineral Blush in Pink 
- Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil in Hazel
- Barry M Lip Paint in 129
- Barry M Lip Gloss 
( The last 2 products weren't exactly "ermergency" but I knew I had to pay Glover Chemist a visit when I found out they stock up on Barry M products from Jojoba from My Make Up Review)


I have been using the Rimmel's Concealer stick everyday since I bought them, as well as the Prestige Blush in Pink (which is apparently a dup for MAC's Well Dressed blush) and Barry M Lip Paint. So, I guess my disappointing experience with Illamasqua was probably a sign for me to discover these awesome babies LOL.

:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:

Lastly, a simple neutral smokey FOTD to end this post. :D

Perfect for lazy days when I am too lazy to do something funky.

Using my good ol' 88 Warm Colour Palette.

On my EYES
MAC Bare Study Paint Pot
88 Warm Colour Palette
Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Eyeliner in Black (Upper Lash Line)
Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner in Black (Lower Lash Line)
Maybelline Magnum Volum' Mascara in Black
In2It Waterproof Eyebrow colour in Eyebrown


On my FACE
Rimmel Hide the Blemish Concealer Stick (for undereye dark circles)
Etude House Magic BB Cream
Maybelline Dream Matte Powder in Ivory Light
Prestige Fresh Glow Baked Mineral Blush in Pink

On my LIPS
Barry M Lip Paint in 129




xoxo,
A

8 comments:

DICTASHION. said...

Aww, I've always wanted to try Illamasqua products but they do not sell it over here!!!! :(

Anonymous said...

I've only tried their lip products maybe I should check out their blushes. a lovely neutral look there!

Unknown said...

@ Dictashion - I think they are expanding all across Australia. =P

@NicNic - They have really nice lip colours but they are a lil too expensive though. :( Thanks hun

Unknown said...

i like the lip gloss

Skinny Fat Stacy said...

Loving your blog! Just followed! hahaha Btw, you are f'en cute! Like, a little doll I'd steal from a 4 year old. :D

Unknown said...

@ Stephenie: The lip gloss is awesome! And it smells good too=P

@Skinny Fat Stacy: Thanks love. =P LOL a little doll :P

Anonymous said...

hi,

i have to check out your post on Illamasqua since you mentioned it. I guess your experience wasn't too good. Mine wasn't bad at all. I really enjoyed it. However, I am not a fan of the big plastic packaging. I guess I prefer a simple design but more functional.

i am going back to Barry M soon. I think I need to double check on its lip products. :P

.blushfully. said...

Before I left Sydney I had to check it out =) Great counter and looks like great products, but I must say, the packaging looks more plasticky than I thought! It reminds me of Anna Sui, black plastics... me not a fan =( it's awesome that Australia is getting more of these overseas brands =) I'm gonna check whether they have it in Myer Brisbane too hahaha...

LinkWithin